Saturday of Service – September 7, 2019
An Intergenerational Day of Service to the Community
“I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy.
I woke and I saw that life is all service.
I served and I saw that service is joy.”
Signups for our 2nd annual Saturday of Service (SOS) are now underway. Please sign up by no later than September 1 for one of the activities listed below. If any of these is already full, we will contact you with other suggested options needing your hands and your heart. If you wish to order a navy blue Foothills t-shirt (identical to last year’s), please do so no later than August 18. We hope that everyone participating will wear one during the morning to help us recognize our own team members and to be a fond reminder of your service experience.
You may sign up online for your preferred activity or for a t-shirt HERE, on the clipboard in the courtyard on Sunday mornings, or by contacting Melissa King.
8:00 am Light breakfast and blessing in the Parish Hall (PH)
8:30-9:00 Carpool to offsite location or help set up the PH for onsite activities
9:00-Noon Service time
Work site choices this year:
- Onsite (Parish Hall):
* Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV) – make simple fleece blankets for shelter cats and dogs.
* Operation Care & Comfort (OCC) – assemble 100 gallon-size care bags for overseas troops and write short enclosure notes.
- Offsite organizations:
* Animal Assisted Happiness (AAH) – do farm cleaning, feeding and exercising tasks or paint one of the animal pens for this organization supporting youth with needs.
* Collective Roots – help with gardening in support of healthy food options for low-income families.
* Kara – assist with preparations for annual Memory Walk and Run for this organization providing grief and recovery services.
* Recovery Café – perform much-appreciated deep cleaning of main café, kitchen, classrooms, Fireside Room and restrooms at the healing community for those traumatized by addiction, homelessness and mental health challenges.
Our sincere hope is that you will leave at noon with a feeling of service, accomplishment and a joy-filled heart.